COLGRAIN, CAMIS ESKAN (Ref:1169)
This building is in the Argyll And Bute Council and the
It is a category B building and was listed on 01/05/1979.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NS 3208 8150.
1648 datestone at rear, remodelled 1840 by David Hamilton; substantially remodelled 1915 A N Paterson. 2-storey and attic and 3-storey rectangular-plan house. 1915 ashlar ground floor with painted harl, sandstone ashlar margins and dressings. Broad eaves band. Architraved windows (cill excepted) to Paterson remodelling.W (MAIN) ELEVATION: A N Paterson remodelling 2-storey, 3-bay symmetrical block with 3-storey, 3-bay David Hamilton block to outer left. Shallow canted entrance block at centre; balustraded parapet; faceted roof; tall windows at 1st floor, strapwork quoins; centre window casement window in French window manner. Bowed ashlar portico advanced at centre; mutuled entablature on 4 Roman Doric columns; narrow window infilling between outer column and inner pilaster; 4-panelled door with moulded surround. Flanking symmetrical bays; shallow canted ground floor, Gibbsian surround to the windows; low cast-iron parapets and flanking stone urns. 3 windows in Venetian arrangement above. Wooden gabled dormers symmetrically disposed with modern plate glass windows. Taller 3-storey symmetrical block to outer left, harled with ashlar architraves; cill band course to 2nd floor; eaves cornice stepped over upper floor windows; corniced 1st floor windows.E (REAR) ELEVATION: 7-bay, 2-storey block, 3-bay, 3-storey block to right. 6 bays with 7th blank bay to outer left, lintel band course at 1st floor. Shaped gable to 2-bays at centre, 2 windows flanking bull?s-eye window at attic level; 2 windows at 1st floor level with bull?s-eye window to outer left; 2 windows at ground, that to right formerly door with marriage lintel inscribed "God will provide 16 ID IS 46". 3 bays to right, window enlarged at 1st floor, inner window with modern corbelled balcony; modern lean-to porch at centre ground. Blank bay outer left, formerly window at ground and 1st floor, now blocked. Modern gabled timber dormers symmetrically disposed to outer right and left. David Hamilton block advanced to outer right, ashlar blocking course; door at ground to left. Lower former service block to outer right; windows variously disposed; piend-roofed dormers.S ELEVATION: 5 bays symmetrically disposed; harled, ashlar margins. Modern door at centre ground; elongated Palladian stair window; pair of flanking symmetrical bays, pediment in blocking course at centre of bays below wallhead stack N ELEVATION: 5 bays arranged 1-3-1. Eaves cornice stepped over upper windows, corniced 1st floor windows; architraved door to right of centre bays.6-pane over 9-pane sash and case windows; 8-pane sash and case windows; 2-pane over 4-pane sash and case windows. Grey slate piended roofs, lead flashings. Broad ashlar coped ridge stacks, tall rendered stacks on Paterson block; Hamilton block with grouped octagonal corniced stacks.COACH HOUSE: former coach house and service block to N. Single storey, former U-plan court opening to E. Stuccoed on W elevation with ashlar margins; rendered at rear with ashlar margins; modern windows. W elevation with triangular pedimented former archway at centre, flanked by blind windows, piend-roofed dormerheads to outer left and right. U-plan to E with piend-roofed dormerheads, modern windows. Octagonal coped wallhead stacks on Hamilton block; tall rendered wallhead stacks on side elevation.INTERIOR: house now subdivided into apartments. Decorative scheme of 1840 and 1915 surviving. Main hall with wooden wainscot panelling; ashlar chimneypieces, Tudor-arched with trefoil motif; ashlar arch; stonework stugged at rear of hall all 1915. Delicate plasterwork in upper rooms to S; stair with delicately carved barleysugar balusters.
Camis Eskan was built by John Dennistoun in 1648 and the house and lands remained in the family until 1836 when ownership was transferred to Colin Campbell of Breadlabane. The lodges, dovecot and walled garden are listed separately.
F A Walker and F Sinclair NORTH CLYDE ESTUARY (1992) pp64-65.
David Murray OLD CARDROSS (1880), p66. J Irving BOOK OF DUMBARTONSHIRE vol III (1879).
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.