COLGRAIN, KEPPOCH HOUSE WITH WALLED GARDENS, GATEPIERS, GATES AND BOUNDARY WALLS (Ref:1166)
This building is in the Argyll And Bute Council and the
It is a category B building and was listed on 14/05/1971.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NS 3297 7977.
Circa 1815. 3-storey over raised basement, 3-bay, rectangular-plan Classical house. Stucco. Broad pilaster quoin; blocking course; eaves band; string course; raised cills.
SW (MAIN) ELEVATION: 3-bay symmetrical block; centre pedimented block slightly advanced; columned porch, paired columns; partially enclosed by cast-iron railings at sides. Later 19th century insertion of bowed etched glass entrance screen. Tripartite windows at centre 1st and 2nd floor. Flanking symmetrical bays; windows at ground in arched recesses. Basement slightly advanced; stugged stone, now painted; segmental-arched windows, barred.
NW ELEVATION: symmetrical 2-bay main block to outer right with lower 2-bay block to left. Later canted window to outer left bridging basement, battered support; gabled dormer at centre.
SE ELEVATION: symmetrical 2-bay block to outer left, lower 2-bay block to right, canted window bridging basement on ashlar support.
NE (REAR) ELEVATION: 3-bay, near-symmetrical block advanced at centre; round-headed stair window at centre 1st floor, flanked by 12-pane sash and case windows; attic window below eaves to left, window to outer left and right. Recessed outer bays, gabled dormer breaking eaves.
12-pane timber sash and case windows. Grey slate piend roof with lead flashings; rear block piend and platform roof. Broad corniced ridge stacks.
INTERIOR: not seen 1995
WALLED GARDENS: Early 19th century with some earlier 20th century additions. D-plan to SE of house. Main entrance in NW wall; droved margin, 1816 datestone. Wall higher to NW, large lean-to greenhouse against S-facing wall. Early 19th century sundial. Some earlier 20th century alterations to garden.
VEGETABLE GARDEN: earlier 19th century walled garden to N behind main garden with earlier 20th century alterations. Rubble wall with slab coping, buttresses against rear wall. Earlier 20th century rubble gateway, stepped wallhead, voussoirs exposed; inscribed "pax int antiuos"; cast-iron gate. Some ruinous greenhouses; lean-to and free-standing. Earlier 20th century pedestrian gate treated similar to main gate.
GATES, GATEPIERS AND QUADRANT WALLS: ashlar panelled gatepiers, corniced, block caps; flanking pedestrian gates. Low quadrant walls with slab coping; terminal piers.
The house was built for Alexander Dunlop in 1820, although an earlier house had existed on the site. The walled garden may relate to this earlier house. The dining room of Keppoch House is lined with the later 18th century timber panelling from St Anne's Church, Belfast. This was installed by Montagu MW Baird, a subsequent owner, in commemoration of his parents, Hugh Baird and Margaret Ferguson, who were married at St Anne?s in 1836.
F A Walker and F Sinclair NORTH CLYDE ESTUARY (1992), p64. Arthur F Jones THE VILLAGE IN DAYS GONE BY (1985), p80.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.