CARDROSS, ARDMORE HOUSE WITH OBSERVATORY TOWER AND CIRCULAR BUILDING (Ref:1159)
This building is in the Argyll And Bute Council and the
It is a category B building and was listed on 14/05/1971.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NS 3172 7856.
1806 encasing of earlier house. 2-storey, 5-bay, T-plan house. Stucco with painted ashlar margins and dressings; eaves band; quoin strips; blocking course. S (MAIN) ELEVATION: round tower at centre, crenellated parapet; door framed by bowed applied paired pilasters and entablature; 2-leaf panelled doors, large sunburst fanlight; tripartite window at 1st floor, Diocletian window at upper level, blind sidelights. Flanking bays slightly advanced, broad windows; broad bay to outer right and left; tripartite window at ground, Diocletian window above; blind sidelights.W ELEVATION: 2 bays symmetrically disposed; 2 blind doors at ground, upper windows symmetrically disposed, 8-pane casement window to right. E ELEVATION: 2 bays, blind doors at ground, windows symmetrically disposed at 1st floor. N (REAR) ELEVATION: piend-roofed projecting wing at centre; tripartite window at ground, Diocletian window above. Lean-to infills in re-entrant angles masking link bays at ground to outer bays with tripartite window at ground, Diocletian window above12-pane sash and case windows; 3-pane over 6-pane sash and case windows at 1st floor. Grey slate piend and platform roof, lead flashings. Broad coped ridge stacks. INTERIOR: not seen 1995.OBSERVATORY: early 19th century; located to N of house at end of former planned path; ruinous telescope tower of circular plan; centre tower with encircling wall. Red sandstone; joist sockets on external face of outer wall at ground, possibly originally wooden viewing platform at ground level. 3 concentric circles with central narrow tower, stone spiral stair to upper viewing room.CIRCULAR BUILDING: low, circular-plan building on cliff top near edge to W of house; in line with roof of tall tower at base of cliff (listed separately). Original function unknown, horse-mill plan, now store. Rubble with harl-pointing; small rectangular windows regularly disposed directly below eaves, 1 blocked, remaining windows with modern glazing. Large modern boarded garage door on SE elevation to path. Small rectangular-plan opening above cliff edge (drainage outlet).Deep grey slate conical roof, lead finial.
There was a house on Ardmore point from the mid 17th century shown on Bleau?s map of 1654 and also on General Roy?s military map circa 1750 as a house within a pale. In 1798 Ardmore was sold by the Noble family to General Geils. The Noble family returned to the estate circa 1890. The present house dates from the early 19th century, but likely encases part of the earlier house. The planned landscape features were laid out by General Thomas Geils at the end of the 18th century. The observatory tower is in a ruinous state. It is identified as Ardmore observatory on the map of the Clyde, 1842 and in the 19th century local newspapers reported the weather conditions from Ardmore. The exact function of the cliff-top circular store is not known. It may have some relation to the earlier tower at the base of the cliff, and may have had a function as a watch tower. This earlier tower is listed separately and is a scheduled monument. The picturesque landscape of Ardmore is important. The remains of the former flower and vegetable gardens at the base of the cliff can be traced. The lawn to the N is laid out as a bowling green and is shown as such on the OS 1st edition. The E lodge and stable block are listed separately. Ardmore estate is a nature reserve of the Scottish Wildlife Trust.
F A Walker and F Sinclair NORTH CLYDE ESTUARY (1992) pp63-64. Arthur
F Jones CARDROSS THE VILLAGE IN DAYS GONE BY (1985) p86. W C Maughan ANNALS OF GARELOCHSIDE (1896). F H Groome ORDNANCE GAZETTEER OF SCOTLAND (1897) Vol I, p65. OS 1st edition 1854. Map of Clyde 1842 D-TC/13/693 (Mitchell Library Glasgow). Preliminary Survey notes of Inventory of Gardens and Designed Landscape in Scotland, C Kernan.
OS 1st, 2nd editions 1854, 1893.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.