CARDROSS, AUCHINFROE WITH STABLES,GATEPIERS AND RAILINGS (Ref:1156)
This building is in the Argyll And Bute Council and the
It is a category B building and was listed on 14/05/1971.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NS 3497 7761.
Early 19th century. 2-storey, 3-bay, rectangular-plan Classical villa with U-plan stable range attached to NW (dated 1814). Harled and painted with ashlar margins and dressings. Base course; eaves cornice and blocking course (on which eaves sit with moulded guttering); quoin strips.
S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 3 bays, entrance bay advanced, chamfered corners; later columned and pedimented shallow porch; modern door, fanlight with border glazing; windows at ground and 1st floor of returns. Symmetrical flanking bays.
E ELEVATION: 4-bays near-symmetrically disposed, modern conservatory advanced at penultimate left.
W ELEVATION: 4 bays near-symmetrically disposed; windows to outer left smaller; square slate-hung dormer at centre.
12-pane uPVC windows in sash and case arrangement; replacement top-hung windows. Grey slate piend and platform roof; coped ridge stacks, circular cans.
INTERIOR: not seen 1994.
STABLE RANGE WITH GATEPIERS AND RAILINGS: dated 1814. Quadrangular-plan stable block attached to house at NE; partly converted to domestic use in W block; entrance at SE. Harled with ashlar base course, painted ashlar margins. Painted harl with painted ashlar margins and dressings; base course.
S RANGE: long blank range with segmental-arched carriage door to right, 2-leaf boarded door, keystone with initials JG EC 1814, 5 flight-holes with ledge; uPVC window to right.
W RANGE: 6 bay range. 3 basket-arched carriage openings to outer left, pend door to right with 2 windows to outer right (16-pane timber sash and case windows).
N RANGE: piend-roofed block. 5-bay symmetrical S elevation, door at centre, flanking windows (uPVC top-hung window).
16-pane sash and case windows; uPVC windows. Grey slate roof, lead flashings.
GATEPIERS AND RAILINGS: paired round-headed gatepiers, chamfered arrises. Cast-iron arrowhead railings and gates.
Auchenfroe was built by John McInnes a West Indies merchant. Auchenfroe lodge is listed separately.
F A Walker and F Sinclair NORTH CLYDE ESTUARY (1992), p60. Arthur F Jones CARDROSS THE VILLAGE IN DAYS GONE BY (1985), p17.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.