CARDROSS, MAIN ROAD, FORMER PARISH CHURCH WITH GRAVEYARD AND BOUNDARY WALLS (Ref:1152)
This building is in the Argyll And Bute Council and the
It is a category B building and was listed on 14/05/1971.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NS 3494 7728.
James Dempster, 1826-7, bombed 1941, ruin preserved as monument in 1954. Gothic tower with flanking buttressed bays; wall to cill level delineating original rectangular plan of church. Ashlar-faced with ashlar margins and dressings; battered base course.NW ELEVATION AND TOWER: 2-stage tower with crenellated parapet; angle buttresses, spikey pinnacles with crocketted finials. Main elevation, pointed arch, 3-light, plate traceried windows symmetrically disposed at each stage; string course. Moulded pointed arch door on right return, now blocked, possibly later hoodmould with red sandstone carved mask labelstops; plaque with floreate boss above; window at upper stage (detailed as above). Symmetrical flanking bays each with hoodmoulded lancet and ashlar parapet to skews. Low square-plan block in re-entrant angle to left, former boiler.SW AND NE ELEVATIONS: original wall partially carried around, remains of chamfered window surround, part of hoodmould. 1954 wall carried to cill level mirroring the original walls. SE (INNER) ELEVATION: rubble inner wall of tower, door at ground, partially blocked; 3-centred pointed window blocked at upper level.GATES, GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALL: gabletted ashlar gatepiers with recessed panels, arrowhead cast-iron gates, wrought-iron overthrow with lantern. Squared sandstone rubble wall with some harl pointing and later cement pointing.GRAVEYARD AND MONUMENTS: number of interesting 17th, 18th and 19th century grave monuments.BURIAL ENCLOSURES: pair of early 19th century rectangular-plan identical burial enclosures side by side against NW wall; ashlar; base course; sandstone eaves course; crenellated coped parapets; red sandstone pediment armorial plaque at centre, door at centre, flanking ashlar oval plaques.ENCLOSURE TO LEFT: "Charles Johnston 1827" inscribed in right oval; blank left plaque. Boarded door, modern galvanised roof; gunloops.ENCLOSURE TO RIGHT: roofless; doorless. Lintel of door with faded inscription; flanking blank ovals. Table monument to John Innes inside.ENCLOSURE IN CORNER: pink sandstone gothic wall monument to Burn family in NE corner. Trefoil-headed blind arcade along 2 sides with low plinth wall and railings enclosing to right, railings to front removed. Arcade carried on colonettes, terminated by sawtooth, gabletted pier buttresses; B inscribed in gablet. Engraved pink granite panels in centre arches of back wall; armorial plaque above right hand arch; Grey granite Greek cross discs in squinches.Along W boundary wall are a number of early 17th and 18th century remains of monuments.
The church was built in 1826 to replace the first church of 1643-44: it bears similarities with William Burn's 'spiky gothic' designs of the 1820s. The church was bombed in 1941, and in 1954 the side walls were consolidated to cill level, and interior raised to form a lawn. The present parish church is listed separately. Scheduled 31 January 1998.
F A Walker and F Sinclair NORTH CLYDE ESTUARY (1992), p58. F H Groome ORDNANCE GAZETTEER OF SCOTLAND Vol I (1897), p235. Arthur F Jones CARDROSS THE VILLAGE IN DAYS GONE BY (1985), p14. Eunice G MURRAY THE CHURCH OF CARDROSS AND ITS MINISTERS (1935). SKETCHES OF CHURCHES AND CLERGY IN PARISHES OF ROW, ROSNEATH AND CARDROSS (1889).
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.