COLGRAIN, CAMIS ESKAN WEST LODGE WITH BOUNDARY WALL AND GATEPIERS (Ref:1138)
This building is in the Argyll And Bute Council and the
It is a category B building and was listed on 01/05/1979.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NS 3140 8131.
Probably David Hamilton, 1840 with some modern additions. Single storey, rectangular-plan, lodge. Ashlar with ashlar margins and dressings; chamfered reveals. Base course; eaves band; advanced eaves on paired brackets; pilaster quoins.
N (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: advanced entrance bay with shallow gabled porch carried on Doric columns; blank shield in gablehead; modern door with plate glass letterbox fanlight; narrow windows on returns. Transomed and mullioned windows in outer bays.
SW ELEVATION: block to left with bow window at centre of 3 windows divided by pilasters. 2-bay polygonal block slightly recessed to right. Modern timber and glass flat-roofed addition recessed to outer right.
E ELEVATION: gable breaking eaves over transomed and mullioned window at centre, modern rendered lean-to garage block abutting to outer left.
Plate glass and 4-pane timber sash and case windows; grey slate roof, lead flashings; central corniced sandstone ridge stacks, octagonal cans.
INTERIOR: not seen 1994.
BOUNDARY WALL AND GATEPIER: broad ashlar pier, guilloche panel; corbelled cornice, stepped cap. Modern cast-iron railings to left; rubble dwarf wall with semicircular coping to right.
This was a former lodge to Camis Eskan. Camis Eskan, the East lodge, dovecot and walled garden are listed separately.
F A Walker and F Sinclair NORTH CLYDE ESTUARY (1992), p64.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.
Buildings are assigned to one of three categories according to their relative importance. All listed buildings receive equal legal protection, and protection applies equally to the interior and exterior of all listed buildings regardless of category.
Buildings of national or international importance, either architectural or historic, or fine little-altered examples of some particular period, style or building type. (Approximately 8% of the total).
Buildings of regional or more than local importance, or major examples of some particular period, style or building type which may have been altered. (Approximately 51% of the total).
Buildings of local importance, lesser examples of any period, style, or building type, as originally constructed or moderately altered; and simple traditional buildings which group well with others in categories A and B. (Approximately 41% of the total).