THE BARONY (FORMERLY KIRKMICHAEL HOUSE - NOW PART OF AGRICULTURAL COLLEGE) (Ref:10418)
This building is in the Dumfries And Galloway Council and the
Kirkmichael (Dumf & Galloway) Parish.
It is a category B building and was listed on 03/08/1971.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NY 2210 8706.
by Barbour and Bowie. Large, asymmetrical mansion house,
Jacobean; mostly mullioned and transomed windows, some canted
or projecting, gables with slits or escutcheons, kneelers
and ball finials; dormer heads finialed, with scrolled
pediments. 2 storeys; plain, extensive service range and
outbuildings to west lower (and partly single storey), with
courtyard. Stugged red coursers, polished dressings.
Entrance at west end of north wall, doorcase ornamented with
ball finials and strap-worked pediment: corbelled 1st floor
William Burn, architect. Built 1834, minor alterations 1912
oriel to left with ornamental gable: conical-roofed tall,
narrow turret recessed either end of north elevation.
Additional door in re-entrant angle between west and south
ranges. String between floors. Stacks mostly grouped,
corniced diamond flues; roofed with graded slates. Courtyard
ranges with plain gabled dormer heads. east-facing
segmental-arched cart opening.
Interior: some ornamental cornice plasterwork and white
marble chimney pieces with classical detail in principal
ground floor rooms; main stair with wrought-iron balustrade
presumably by Barbour & Bowie.
Unusual trough (? early 18th century) with lion head mask
against south wall. Keystone and pedimented stone re-set
Some original drawings in NMRS. Barbour and Bowie's ground
plan held by Sutherland Dickie and Copeland, Dumfries,
NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT, p.71
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.