Historic Scotland Data Website
Results New Search

CUMRUE FARMHOUSE AND FORMER CARTSHED/BARN (Ref:10378)

This building is in the Dumfries And Galloway Council and the Kirkmichael Parish. It is a category B building and was listed on 03/08/1971.

Group Items: N/A, Group Cat: N/A, Map Ref: NY 070 861.

Description

Early 19th century 2-storey 3-bay house built to front

(south) of earlier similar house, doubling its thickness;

cartshed (on roadside, to west) with barn above built 1827,

C. Halliday, contractor. Whitewashed rubble, house with

contrasting painted margins. House: south elevation: modern

central piended porch; plate glass sashes; straight skews;

end stacks; slate roofs. Aymmetrical north elevation.

Interior: wall murals of hunting scenes in dining room by

Karl Ruckgauer of Mainz, 1946 (signed). Cartshed and barn:

south elevation has 8 arcaded segmental arches 7 cart

openings, single narrow arch near west gable houses stairs

to barn; door and 2 boarded window openings to latter level.

Slate roofs.

Notes

Ruckgauer was a prisoner of war held at the former Kirkmichale House (now Barony School) nearby. Listed category B for quality of arcaded cartshed (remainder of steading not included in listing)

References

SRO SC 15/65/3 pp 91 and 95 (gives date of steading)

© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: hs.listing@scotland.gsi.gov.uk. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.

Results New Search

Buildings are assigned to one of three categories according to their relative importance. All listed buildings receive equal legal protection, and protection applies equally to the interior and exterior of all listed buildings regardless of category.

ACategory A

Buildings of national or international importance, either architectural or historic, or fine little-altered examples of some particular period, style or building type. (Approximately 8% of the total).

BCategory B

Buildings of regional or more than local importance, or major examples of some particular period, style or building type which may have been altered. (Approximately 51% of the total).

C(S)Category C(S)

Buildings of local importance, lesser examples of any period, style, or building type, as originally constructed or moderately altered; and simple traditional buildings which group well with others in categories A and B. (Approximately 41% of the total).