CARNSALLOCH HOUSE (Ref:10300)
This building is in the Dumfries And Galloway Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 29/05/1959.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NX 970 803.
Dated 1759 on north wing. Palladian mansion house; 2 storeys
on raised basement with flanking wings. All red ashlar.
House: 3-bay east elevation with early 19th century central
pilastered porch (panelled and studded door in pedimented
doorpiece), flanked by 12-pane sashes in architraves, latter
corniced, with pulvinated frieze; 3 Burlington windows in
round-arched panels at principal floor. Ionic-columned jambs
on plinths; latter probably terminated blind balustrades;
square, architraved windows above (6-pane sashes). Continuous
bands at base and at ground floor level; mutule cornice;
blocking course; 2 symmetrically placed stacks; piended
slate roof. Single window at each level of flanks;
linked by cornice); piended roofs, with graded slates. Low
alterations and fire escapes to rear above, narrow lean-to
service corridor linking wings. Piended, 2-storey wings each
have single bay east front (12-pane sashes), and are linked
to house by quadrant wall with corniced, architraved and
panelled door between alcove niches; inner part of north
wing is earlier. 18th century house, rendered, with advanced
inner bays (gabled on north elevation) and 5-bay south
front. Modern additions to north and to south of wings.
Interior: some decorative ceiling plasterwork of late 18th/
early 19th century, especially in halls and ground floor
rooms: plain top floor rooms. Modern lift shaft in stair
well obscures most of former anthemion-patterned silhouette
balusters. Some painted raised and fielded wooden panelling
survives in earlier house.
Now a home run by the Leonard Cheshire Organisation.
Built for Alexander Johnstone of Carnsalloch. He is
described in the sasines as a chemist in London, so it may
be that a London architect was employed, and perhaps Isaac
Ware, whose 1756 publication included design of a "House built
for Alexander Johnstone, Esq, in Scotland" (a more expensive
scheme which was probably never done) (see H Colvin,
BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY OF BRITISH ARCHITECTS,
1600-1840, 1978, (p866)
SRO RHP 4417 (1911 sale catalogue). Scottish Field, April 1957.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.