DALSWINTON HOUSE (Ref:10281)
This building is in the Dumfries And Galloway Council and the
It is a category B building and was listed on 03/08/1971.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NX 943 840.
Built circa 1785, additions and alterations circa 1920.
Symmetrical, originally severely classical, 3-storey mansion
house with sunk basement: polished red ashlar, channelled at
basement. Original house: 5-bay south elevation with
architraved windows corniced at ground, curved 5-light
window replaced original central porch, north elevation with
full-height central bow; west elevation: 5 narrower bays
with platt spanning basement area. Additions to east comprise full-height narrow bay set back at north and south with
windows in tall panels and projecting entrance bay set into
east facade with channelled pilaster strips, large round-
arched mullioned and transomed window over east-facing
Doric-columned and open-pedimented doorpiece: panelled 2-leaf
door in cavetto reveals. Mutule cornice to all elevations; partly-balustraded parapet; symmetrically placed stacks;
shallow-pitched piended slate roof.
Curved basement area to east enclosed by cast-iron
balustrade; tunnel at north east below main drive.
Built for Patrick Miller, inventor of steam navigation. A
print published 1792 in the Ewart Library, Dumfries shows the
house without the roof parapet, although early 20th century
postcards show the parapet to have been added before the
house was extended. The house, and some of the estate
buildings may be by Alexander Nasmyth who was a close friend
of Millar's; Nasmyth's son, Patrick, may have been called
after Millar (for more on this see NASMYTH EXHIBITION
CATALOGUE, St Andrews 1979 - copy in NMRS).
OLD STATISTICAL ACCOUNT vol II p. 32. P Gray, DUMFRIESSHIRE
ILLUSTRATED vol I, 1894, (illus. opp p.38)
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.