KIRKTON VILLAGE KIRKMAHOE PARISH CHURCH, CHURCHYARD AND GATEPIERS (Ref:10260)
This building is in the Dumfries And Galloway Council and the
It is a category B building and was listed on 03/08/1971.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NX 9745 8153.
Probably Walter Newall of Dumfries, architect. Built 1822-3;
some internal re-ordering presumably by James Barbour of
Dumfries circa 1889. Rectangular-plan, 3-bay Gothic church,
with 3-stage square tower at west gable, gabled vestry added
to inner bay of south wall. Stugged red ashlar coursers, with
polished dressings. All openings hood-moulded. Tower has
Tudor-arched door facing west; other openings all geometric
traceried, louvered at upper stage; strings at cill levels,
diagonal buttresses, stepped at each stage, with pinnacles
rising above crenellated parapet. 2 buttressed and pinnacled, Tudor-arched and gabled shallow porches on cross-finialed
east gable flanking large perpendicular- traceried window;
also quatrefoil and cross openings. Diagonal buttresses with
pinnacles reaching above eaves. Perpendicular-traceried
windows to buttressed north and south elevation bays. Eaves
band; slate roof. Vestry also has diagonal buttresses, and
pointed window facing south; modern addition in west re-
entrant angle. Interior: octagonal pulpit with canopy to
north of east window; leaded east window; pews have panelled
backs; ceiling has simple ribs; modern organ gallery on west
Ashlar-coped rubble-built wall encloses churchyard; square
gatepiers with domed caps; hearse house to south. Some 18th-
19th century monuments with good classical ornament.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such.
H Colvin, BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY OF BRITISH ARCHITECTS,
1600-1840, 1978. p.588
James Barbour scheme for improvements
held by Sutherland Dickie and Copeland, Dumfries (drawings
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.