ISLE TOWER (Ref:10236)
This building is in the Dumfries And Galloway Council and the
It is a category B building and was listed on 03/08/1971.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NX 935 832.
Several building phases, comprising circa 1589 rectangular-
plan tower house linked at south east angle to early 19th
century house in Z-plan arrangement: rear courtyard formed by outbuildings which extend west from tower house west wall
and from south gable of house (former range includes 1700
datestone). All rubble-built with ashlar dressings (house
painted). Tower house: 3 storeys with attic, turrets with
curved roof corbelled over 2 diametrically opposite angles,
door to courtyard with armorial panel above, and yett;
gabled wall-head dormer either face; crow-stepped gables:
coped end stack. Interior vaulted at ground level, wheel
stair within south east angle. House: originally 2 storeys,
3 bays, 2nd floor with pedimented dormer heads added 1882
(dated), Peddie and Kinnear of Edinburgh, architects: east-
facing central door and small-paned sash windows (1
bipartite): crow-stepped gables: end stacks. All roofs
Crest is that of Ferguson of Isle. Robert Burns is said to
have stayed in the tower for a time while Ellisland was
MacGibbon 6 Ross, CASTELLATED AND DOMESTIC ARCHITECTURE, vol
III pp 393-4 (1977 reprint)
RCAHM INVENTORY no 337 (inc. photo and plan)
Peddie and Kinnear drawings index and 1955 sale catalogue
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.
Buildings are assigned to one of three categories according to their relative importance. All listed buildings receive equal legal protection, and protection applies equally to the interior and exterior of all listed buildings regardless of category.
Buildings of national or international importance, either architectural or historic, or fine little-altered examples of some particular period, style or building type. (Approximately 8% of the total).
Buildings of regional or more than local importance, or major examples of some particular period, style or building type which may have been altered. (Approximately 51% of the total).
Buildings of local importance, lesser examples of any period, style, or building type, as originally constructed or moderately altered; and simple traditional buildings which group well with others in categories A and B. (Approximately 41% of the total).