HOLYWOOD PARISH CHURCH AND CHURCHYARD (Ref:10209)
This building is in the Dumfries And Galloway Council and the
It is a category B building and was listed on 03/08/1971.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NX 955 796.
Built 1779. T-plan church with central tall 3-stage square
tower on long south wall. Repaired and renovated 1845 and
1864-5. Coursed and squared red rubble with ashlar
dressings. South elevation: tower has square-headed openings,
lower stage originally with door at ground, now blocked, 1
window above; 2 openings vertically arranged in 2nd stage;
forestair in re-entrant angle; top stage (possibly 1864-5)
has louvred belfry opening with central column to each face,
and pierced parapet: 2 tall, round-arched and keystoned
windows either side of tower gabled porch on east and west
flanks: 2-bay jamb (with late 19th century addition) has
round-headed gallery windows above 12-pane sashes. Piended
roofs with graded slates. Interior: gallery sealed up to form
hall; organ with carved case; flat ceiling, with roof timbers
on brackets; acorn light hanging.
Irregular-plan churchyard enclosure, rubble-built
ashlar-coped walls; gate to west, 2 octagonal rusticated
ashlar gatepiers, hearse-house alongside, and stile. Some
good 18th and 19th century stone monuments: Classical
mausoleum at north west built of ashlar with stone slab roof,
door with battered jambs central on pedimented east gable,
pilasters divide bays: Renaissance-style Johnstone of Cowhill
Ecclesiastical building in use as such. Bells noted in RCAHM
INVENTORY, 1920, no. 285.
NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT pp. 558-9 G Hay, ARCHITECTURE OF
SCOTTISH POST-REFORMATION CHURCHES 1957 p.254. C T Ramage,
HISTORY OF THE PARISH OF HOLYWOOD, 1924 p.8 SRO HR 261/1
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.