GRIBTON HOUSE WITH PRINCIPAL GATEPIERS AND QUADRANT WALLS (Ref:10205)
This building is in the Dumfries And Galloway Council and the
It is a category B building and was listed on 26/07/1986.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NX 921 800.
Circa 1830 2-storey Jacobean-style mansion with late 19th additions and alterations, including 2 3-storey north-facing bays with shaped gables and tall end stacks with vertical strips. All built of red ashlar. Advanced and recessed bays, mostly gabled with gabletted skews, shaped skewputts, paired slits in gable heads; mostly mullioned windows, some canted, some transomed, some hood-moulded, some in projecting bays. North elevation: oriel above square porch in boldly advanced bay, low projecting bay to right of latter added early 20th
century stacks above clasping angle strips of left bay; lower, 2-storey service range to right. 2 canted windows to
east elevation; some mullions removed on south elevation. Corniced stacks, mostly with octagonal flues; all roofed with graded slates.
INTERIOR: some panelled doors in corniced doorcases; some marble chimney pieces: one chimney piece, with bronze panel inserted late 19th century; mostly simple plasterwork; stair with twisted wooden balusters.
GATEPIERS AND QUADRANT WALLS: probably circa 1885. Red (pink) sandstone ashlar pair of panelled and corniced gatepiers flanking drive with lower buttressing piers flanking with console bracket uniting. Main piers with gadrooned urns of fruit.
Used for a time as a hospital. Presumably built for Francis Maxwell who purchased Gribton estate in 1827. Now sub-divided. The owner (1989) noted that the gatepiers contain the monogram 'HL', the initials of Henry Lamont who owned the house from 1877-1910. The urns became detached at some point but were restored circa 1990. Principal Gatepiers and Quadrant Walls listed 2.7.03.
NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT p560 1949 survey plans by M Purdon Smith held by Sutherland
Dickie & Copeland, Dumfries. Information courtesy of owner 1989.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.