COWHILL FORMER STABLES (Ref:10198)
This building is in the Dumfries And Galloway Council and the
It is a category B building and was listed on 03/08/1971.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NX 951 826.
Dated 1816. Stables, now mostly converted for
domestic/garage use. 3 2-storey ranges built around
quadrangular court, latter closed to east, above River Nith,
by high wall. Rubble-built with ashlar or modern concrete,
margins, rusticated quoins at west, all painted. Symmetrical
west elevation: 7 bays, articulated with taller advanced
outer bays and central entrance tower, these with simply
pedimented gables; tower has full-height angle pilaster
strips and segmental arch to pend all rusticated, Venetian
window and crest above, dovecot in gable and weathervane
finial; modern (masonry) flanking flues; glazed
segmental-arched former carriage houses to each outer bay,
with Venetian window inserted above (possibly replacing
oculi, arched stones re-used); upper window margins of
remaining bays linked to eaves band. Small-paned glazing.
1958 crest (possibly dates conversion) to courtyard above segmental-arched pend, other openings to courtyard
square-headed; some upper windows break through eaves and
have gabled dormer heads; garage in north range by Peddie and
Forbes Smith, 1915. Stacks mostly modern, but corniced;
roofed with graded slates.
Detached low range to north.
Alterations, although extensive, are quite sympathetically
done, and the building still merits category B status.
NMRS - Peddie & Kinnear index (for garage)
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.