HALF MORTON PARISH CHURCH AND CHURCHYARD (Ref:10083)
This building is in the Dumfries And Galloway Council and the
Half Morton Parish.
It is a category C building and was listed on 03/08/1971.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NY 320 745.
Probably 1744; 4-bay church, repaired and enlarged circa 1795
(?addition of N jamb); all heightened several masonry
courses, perhaps 1830; renovated 1889. Rubble-built with
ashlar dressings, S elevation and E gable rendered. Splayed
base course to body of church. 4 pointed windows (?1889) to
long S wall and eaves moulding; gabled porch at E with iron
cresting, shouldered S-facing door; vestry adjoins W gable.
Unusual birdcage belfry (?1889) over E gable. Roofed with
graded slates. Boiler room in NW re-entrant angle demolished
circa 1985 exposing blocked square-headed window on jamb W
wall; N gable window of jamb originally a door.
Interior: plaster-vaulted roof; panelled timber pulpit
central on long S wall.
CHURCHYARD: quadrangular enclosure, with rubble-built partly ashlar-coped walls, extended to S in 20th century; plain
gatepiers (wrought-iron gates) and stile at E. Mostly 18th
and 19th century stone monuments, some with classical
Ecclesiastical building in use as such. FASTII ECCLESSIAE
SCOTICANAE states that the church was "rebuilt about 1703",
but no primary source is quoted either by Fastii or by Groome
or Hay. OSA report (Langholm) states that "It is soon ....
to be repaired and enlarged".
Change of Category B to C(S) 30.9.87
George Hay, ARCHITECTURE OF SCOTTISH POST-REFORMATION
CHURCHES, 1957 p 254; SRO. HR 540/1 (includes 1889 seating
plan); Groome, GAZETTEER n.d. 2nd ed vol III p 241; OLD
STATISTICAL ACCOUNT, vol XIII p 593.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.