CADGILL HOUSE (FORMER PARISH MANSE) (Ref:10081)
This building is in the Dumfries And Galloway Council and the
Half Morton Parish.
It is a category B building and was listed on 03/08/1971.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NY 318 742.
Seemingly circa 1839. 2-storey, 3-bay manse. Rubble-built
with ashlar margins, all painted. SE elevation: pedimented
central porch; sash windows (12-pane at 1st floor). Straight
skews; end stacks, both originally margined, one now rebuilt
Wide gables, SW gable with unusual fenestration. Tall stair
window beside rear wing. Roofed with uniform slates.
Partly walled courtyard to rear with plain range of
Unless an existing building was brought into use, this manse
was presumably built circa 1839 when Half Morton was
recognised as a separate parochial charge. (see Groome,
Gazetteer, 2nd ed n.d. vol III p241).
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.
Buildings are assigned to one of three categories according to their relative importance. All listed buildings receive equal legal protection, and protection applies equally to the interior and exterior of all listed buildings regardless of category.
Buildings of national or international importance, either architectural or historic, or fine little-altered examples of some particular period, style or building type. (Approximately 8% of the total).
Buildings of regional or more than local importance, or major examples of some particular period, style or building type which may have been altered. (Approximately 51% of the total).
Buildings of local importance, lesser examples of any period, style, or building type, as originally constructed or moderately altered; and simple traditional buildings which group well with others in categories A and B. (Approximately 41% of the total).