BOTURICH CASTLE WITH QUADRANT WALL AND GATEPIERS (Ref:7627)
This building is in the West Dunbartonshire Council and the
It is a category B building and was listed on 14/05/1971.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NS 3877 8457.
Robert Lugar, 1830 incorporating 15th century castle; additions Scott, Stephen and Gale, 1834; octagonal entrance tower, 1850; late 19th century remodelling. Harled with sandstone margins and dressings. 3-storey, asymmetrical, rectangular-plan block.
S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: long asymmetrical range. 1850 octagonal entrance tower advanced to outer left, low machicolated crenellated parapet; crenellated porch at centre, canted arrises. 3-centred arch door, roll-moulded surround, hoodmould, armorial plaque above; inner half-glazed door; slightly advanced oriel at 1st floor, lead roof, window above; narrow lancets at ground flanking porch. 3-bay recessed, symmetrical block to right of tower, crenellated parapet, tripartite window at centre at principal floor; windows symmetrically disposed at 1st floor, narrow window at centre, flanking larger windows; smalll windows at basement level. 4-bay symmetrical recessed wing to right, terminated by round tower; harled at ground floors, rubble at attic floor. Small windows at basement asymmetrically disposed, bays at 1st and attic floor symmetrically disposed; pedimented dormerheads at upper floor; harled round tower, small window at ground, bell-cast roof; small crenellated bridging turret between tower and recessed service and stable wing to outer right (service block described below).
W ELEVATION: tower to outer right, crenellated block to left, windows at centre, basement to upper floor, that at main floor largest (8-pane over 12-pane); window at upper floor to outer right; small windows at ground left; blank upper floors. Round tower with Gothick window, candle-snuffer roof glazed at apex and tall crowstepped gabled block seen behind parapet.
N (REAR) ELEVATION: 3-bay block to outer right, windows to otuer rifht larger. Tall, narrow crowstepped gabled block, 4-storey over basement, tripartite window at basement, 2 large windows at principal floor, single window at centre of 1st floor, 2 small windows to outer left at upper floors; broad sandstone apex stack. Rubble crenellated screen wall of service court to left, early 20th century flat-roofed, slate- hung block recessed behind; gable and adjoining wing of service block.
4-pane, 12-pane and 16-pane timber sash and case windows; grey slate roof, lead flashings; broad coped ashlar wallhead and apex stacks.
INTERIOR: not seen 1996.
SERVICE AND STABLE BLOCK: crowstepped gabled block, ashlar at ground, rubble upper floor.
S ELEVATION: round-arched gate at centre, incised voussoirs, boarded door. Narrow pointed window above, armorial plaque above, dated 1380 (perhaps from earlier building). Ashlar link wall, pier pedestal with narrow tall red sandstone gabled bellcote.
E ELEVATION: 3 piend-roofed dormerheads symmetrically disposed at 1st floor, 4-pane timber sash and case windows. 2 round-arched carriage doors at ground, boarded doors.
N ELEVATION: gable, 2 windows at ground, cruciform vent at centre in gablehead, coped apex stack. Parapetted, 2-bay block to outer right.
4-pane, tudor-arched and 12-pane timber sash and case windows. Grey slate roof, lead flashings. Coped sandstone apex stacks.
QUADRANT GATEWAY TO NORTH LODGE: stugged, squared and snecked quadrant wall with ashlar slab coping. Gatepeirs with depressed conical cap, ball finial. cast-iron gates.
The house was built for John Buchanan of Ardoch. Lugar designed
3 castles in Dunbartonshire, Balloch, Boturich and Tullichewan. Balloch Castle and Tullichewan stable block, home farm and lodge are listed separately in Bonhill parish, Dunbartonshire.
F A Walker and F Sinclair NORTH CLYDE ESTUARY (1992) p48. H Colvin
A BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY OF BRITISH ARCHITECTS 1600-1840 (1995) p625. T Hannon FAMOUS SCOTTISH HOUSES pp41-44, illustrations 42-43. NSA Vol VIII p215.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.