EDINBURGH CASTLE, ST MARGARET'S CHAPEL (Ref:48228)
This building is in the Edinburgh, City Of Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 14/12/1970.
Group Items: See Notes,
Group Cat: A,
Map Ref: NT 2516 7350.
Earlier 12th century, with later alterations and additions (see Notes). Simple pitch-roofed (piended to E) Romanesque chapel. Squared ashlar and random rubble with ashlar dressings and skews. Timber studded door in round-arched opening to N, J Wilson Paterson, 1939.
INTERIOR: barrel-vaulted rectangular nave (see Notes), separated from apsidal sanctuary by Romanesque chevron-inscribed chancel arch with nook-shafts (restored 1851-2). N doorway and aumbry to sanctuary. Stained glass by Douglas Strachan, 1922 (SS Andrew, Columba, Margaret and Ninian, and William Wallace).
The A Group comprises Batteries, Foog's Gate, Gatehouse, Governor's House, Great Hall, Lang Stairs, Military Prison, National War Museum, New Barracks, Old Guardhouse, Palace Block, Portcullis Gate, St Margaret's Chapel, Scottish National War Memorial, Telephone Kiosks, United Services Museum and Vaults, all within Edinburgh Castle, and in the Care of Historic Scotland. The earliest surviving building on the Castle Rock, the Chapel may have been built by David I in memory of his mother, canonised as St Margaret in 1250. The building was much altered during use as a magazine and munitions store from 16th-19th centuries. In 1845 the Chapel (then a storehouse at the W end of the 18th century garrison chapel) was rediscovered as such by the antiquarian Daniel Wilson. Surrounding buildings, including the garrison chapel, were demolished, and a simple restoration carried out under the direction of Col George Phillpots and Maximilian Grant, 1851-2. The barrel-vault of the nave is of this period, although it was probably also originally vaulted. Grant's illustration shows the form of the N door at this time. A later proposal by Hippolyte Blanc to enlarge and enrich the chapel was rejected.
Grant OLD AND NEW EDINBURGH (1885) p19, ill pp20 and 24. MacGibbon and Ross CASTELLATED AND DOMESTIC ARCHITECTURE OF SCOTLAND (1887) 445-63, fig402. Wilson MEMORIALS OF EDINBURGH (1891) p167. RCAHMS INVENTORY EDINBURGH (1951) pp1-25. Gifford, McWilliam and Walker EDINBURGH (1984) p91-2. MacIvor EDINBURGH CASTLE (1993).
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.