URRARD HOUSE INCLUDING WALLED GARDEN WITH ANCILLARY BUILDING AND GATE (Ref:47646)
This building is in the Perth And Kinross Council and the
It is a category B building and was listed on 05/03/2001.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NN 9078 6343.
William Burn, dated 1831; rear wing rebuilt 1860s, and 1963 (see Notes). 2-storey, 4-bay Scots-Jacobean house. Squared rubble with stugged quoins, raised quoin strips and margins. Extension squared rubble and harl. String course. Pointed-arch, deeply moulded doorpiece with hoodmould. Stone mullions.E (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: projecting curvilinear gable to centre with 2-leaf panelled timber door at ground, bipartite window above and dated armorial panel in gablehead; window to each floor in bay to right of centre and in 2 bays to left.N ELEVATION: 2 windows (grouped to centre and right) to each floor with broad stack breaking eaves as gablehead above, gabled return to right with single window to each floor and in gablehead with unobtrusive metal fire escape. Harled face of later wing recessed to right with single storey offices projecting at outer right.S ELEVATION: projecting curvilinear-gabled bay to outer right with full-height crenellated canted 4-light window, shield panel in gablehead. Later recessed bays to left with 2 full-height crenellated and canted windows as above (but 3-light) flanking single window bay and further window to each floor of outer left bay; 2 round-headed dormers in copper finish centre to crenelated canted bays (2000).W ELEVATION: later wing with bipartite window to each floor of tall gabled bay to right, centre bay with window and door beyond to left below slated porch and 2 further small windows at 1st floor, lower bay beyond to left with fixed window panel set into masonry surround with gothic (pointed arch) head and original piended rubble office wing projecting at outer left with 3 timber doors.8- and 12-pane glazing patterns in timber sash and case windows. Grey slates. Coped ashlar stacks with cans, and ashlar-coped skews with moulded skewputts. Cast-iron downpipes with decorative rainwater hoppers.INTERIOR: not seen 2000, but with panelled timber shutters and carved timber fireplace with green marble cheeks.WALLED GARDEN WITH ANCILLARY BUILDING AND GATE: walled garden to NE with high coped rubble walls and gabled ancillary building, and low flat-coped walls with decorative ironwork gate.
David Walker refers indirectly to Urrard through a quotation by Lord Cockburn, who rather dismissively refers to a group of 'cottage houses', 'Urrard, Killiecrankie Cottage, Strathgarry and Lude, together with Fascally' (sic). Urrard is built near the site of the Battle of Killiecrankie (1689) after which a nearby Pictish stone was dubbed the 'Claverhouse Stone' to mark the valiant death of Graham of Claverhouse, Viscount Dundee. Sales details issued by Finlayson Hughes in 1988 date the original Urrard House as 1681, with the "present front having been added in 1831 by William Burn". They also add that the older part of the house was demolished in the 1860s and replaced with Victorian 'back quarters' which were subsequently rebuilt after a fire in 1963.
Ed Jane Fawcett SEVEN VICTORIAN ARCHITECTS, David Walker WILLIAM BURN (1976), p23. Groome's GAZETTEER VOL VI, p472 and VOL IV, p366. Colin Liddell PITLOCHRY HERITAGE OF A HIGHLAND DISTRICT (1993), p53.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.