INVERURIE RAILWAY STATION (Ref:46174)
This building is in the Aberdeenshire Council and the
It is a category B building and was listed on 18/05/1999.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NJ 7757 2180.
1902. 3-platform junction station by Great North of Scotland Railway. Single storey waiting room and office. Heavily stugged ashlar with ashlar margins. Eaves course. Battered rock-faced plinth, cill course and roll-moulded arrises with stone mullions to road elevation. Segmental-headed, voussoired openings. Timber-fronted awning with corrugated-iron roof on 2 cast-iron columns with decorative spandrels.E (ROAD) ELEVATION: symmetrical. 12-bay, piended main block with slightly lower, flanking 4(?)-bay projections. Centre 4 bays with glazed cast-iron canopy and decorative cast-iron braces on stone corbels; deep-set part-glazed 2-leaf timber door to right with bipartite windows in flanking bays and further bipartite beyond to left (all segmental-headed). 4 single windows below diminutive triangular and cusped roof-ventilator to flanking bays, and further single windows to lower outer bays with 3-stage, ogee-domed, polygonal ridge ventilator and decorative cast-iron weathervane to outer left.W (PLATFORM) ELEVATION: all openings segmental. Irregular elevation with variety of timber doors and glazed fanlights, and windows. Almost full-width canopy projecting from taller main block to centre, with Alexander Gill station clock and small, wall-mounted decorative cast-iron water fountain situated in bays to left of centre beneath canopy.4-pane and plate glass glazing patterns with decoratively-astragalled and 4-pane pivoting top lights in timber windows. Grey slates with snow-boards. Coped ashlar stacks with cans; ashlar-coped skews with square skewputts, decorative ridge tiles and finials.INTERIOR: refurbished interior with decorative plasterwork to coomb ceiling of ticket hall and broad segmental arches with part-glazed timber screen walls. Earl of Kintore's waiting room with broken apex pediment over 2-leaf part glazed timber door, parquet floor, boarded dado below panelling and dentilled cornice at picture rail height, timber fireplace and decorative plasterwork.FOOTBRIDGE: cast-iron footbridge, painted diamond mesh with contrasting rails.
This station replaces a smaller building of 1852, which was located to the S of the main settlement. The Earl of Kintore's waiting room was restored in 1989.
Information courtesy of Aberdeenshire Council.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.