Historic Scotland Data Website
Results New Search

PITFOUR CASTLE (Ref:17628)

This building is in the Perth And Kinross Council and the St Madoes Parish. It is a category A building and was listed on 05/10/1971.

Group Items: N/A, Group Cat: N/A, Map Ref: N/A.

Description

Robert Adam 1784. Roman Castellated. Main block 3-storey

and battered full basement with circular angle towers,

centre S. bow, rubble whinstone with sandstone dressings.

N. courtyard with single storey and loft stable block also

with round towers, hemicycle wall to E. Additions William

Burn 1825, new Library and circular music room to N.W.,

clock tower at S.W., N.E. stable block tower raised; his

entrance hall removed 1964 and re-instatement of N. front

to original design in hand 1966. Interior; oral staircase

with dome figure panels by Zucchi; good chimney-pieces,

plasterwork fairly simple.

Notes

East wing was destroyed by fire July 1969.

References

N.S.A. vX p.627 No plans survive at Soane Museum. Date obtained from Steuart Richardson family by present owner. Design transitional stage between Oxenfoord (1780) and Dalquharran (1786) and closely related to Seton (1789) (1789) in N. elevations. No plans at S.N.B.R. for Burn additions but T.L. Donaldson, Memoir of the late William Burn in T.R.I.B.A. 28th March 1870.

© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: hs.listing@scotland.gsi.gov.uk. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.

Results New Search

Buildings are assigned to one of three categories according to their relative importance. All listed buildings receive equal legal protection, and protection applies equally to the interior and exterior of all listed buildings regardless of category.

ACategory A

Buildings of national or international importance, either architectural or historic, or fine little-altered examples of some particular period, style or building type. (Approximately 8% of the total).

BCategory B

Buildings of regional or more than local importance, or major examples of some particular period, style or building type which may have been altered. (Approximately 51% of the total).

C(S)Category C(S)

Buildings of local importance, lesser examples of any period, style, or building type, as originally constructed or moderately altered; and simple traditional buildings which group well with others in categories A and B. (Approximately 41% of the total).