ELIOCK HOUSE (Ref:17256)
This building is in the Dumfries And Galloway Council and the
It is a category B building and was listed on 03/08/1971.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NS 796 074.
Composite mansion house, with (?late 16th century) tower house nucleus, additions until circa 1914; H-plan, with courtyard to west (wings linked at east by crenellated low circa 1914 projection). Mostly 3 storeys; north wing fire damaged, now derelict, and partly demolished at east. Inner range a rectangular 1658 (dated) house, projected from south end of tower house, with bolection-moulded doorway, to courtyard in tall, central, circular stair turret (latter conical-roofed with dovecot at upper level); 3-bay east elevation (4 bays, 1 blank with rebuilt wallhead stack) is harled: remainder mostly grey or pink ashlar, polished to courtyard: (south wing otherwise droved); margined windows small-paned sashes. Tower house retains some original openings and gun ports, north and south wings each have narrow west gables (that to north wing heightened circa 1914). South wing essentially 18th/early 19th century, but present form perhaps not original; 6-bay long south elevation, piended 3-bay south elevation. Corniced stacks; slate roofs. Interior of south wing: 1st floor partly re-modelled early 20th century in "Adam" style (some original features retained); some rooms narrowed to accommodate corridor facing courtyard; some good 18th-early 20th century chimney pieces; cantilevered stone stair.
Fire damage occurred during 1939-45 war when the house had
Information from owner (1983)
RCAHM INVENTORY 1920 no.552.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.