MELVILLE HOUSE PAVILION BLOCKS AND LODGES (Ref:15448)
This building is in the Fife Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 01/03/1984.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NO 2989 1380.
James Smith, architect, 1697-1701, probably using, or based on, designs by Sir William Bruce; alterations and additions by Reginald Fairlie, 1939. Large, symmetrical H-plan classical mansion house, linked by screen walls to flanking pavilions. House: 3 storeys over raised basement. Rendered and lined as ashlar, with ashlar dressings, lugged
architraves and rusticated quoins. North and south elevations are similar; 9 bays, outer 2 advanced with central entrance. Principal entrance originally on south elevation (now glazed); splayed stone steps with ornate wrought-iron balustrade; projecting pilastered and pedimented 19th century porch to north elevation. East and west elevations each have 6 bays, inner 2 slightly advanced, and pedimented with oculi. 12 or 15-pane sashes to ground and 1st floor; smaller
basement and 2nd floor windows, latter all 6-pane. Set-off at basement; continuous string between floors; eaves course and corncie. Symmetrically- placed corniced stacks with angle margins; central octagonal lantern with bell-cast roof and capping weather vane finial. Piended and platform slated and leaded roof.
INTERIOR: lavishly oak-panelled rooms with classical features; panelled doors, some corniced with pulvinated friezes, some pedimented and mostly in lugged architraves; Corinthian or Ionic pilasters flanking chimney pieces, and entablatures; raised and fielded panelling; box cornices.
1st floor saloon has carved chimneypiece in west drawing room with overmantel carved with swags, putti, Earl's coronet etc.
2 parallel pavilion blocks form courtyard to south of house; rectangular-plan blocks, each 2 storeys, harled with ashlar margins, eaves course, cornice, 2 corniced axial stacks and piended slate roofs. West block has 7 irregular bays to courtyard elevation, blind tripartites to single bay south wall; east block has 8 bays to courtyard, blind windows to 2-bay south elevation. Screen walls linking to house are harled with ashlar margins; each has altered central rectangular gate with blind oculus over, and flanking round-headed alcoves; moulded stone coping with capping urn and 4 symmetrically placed balls. 2 square lodges flank gateway to south of house; these are
both 2 storeys; harled, with ashlar margins and rusticated quoins; single, large, central rectangular ground floor opening to north elevation of each with window above; door and windows to other elevations; single wall-head stacks, and slated bell cast roof with weathervane finial inscribed 'M' and dated 1697. Low rubble wall links with squat corniced square gatepiers with diamond pointed masonry.
Now used as a boy's home. Only plinths remain in garden of sundial and statues of 'Frame' and of 'Mercury'.
SNMR holds copies of Smith drawings, surveys and various articles. SRO GD26 RCAHM INVENTORY OF FIFE, 1933. pp 211-2 (illus 344-7) (no 427)
Stirling Maxwell, SHRINES AND HOMES OF SCOTLAND pp 191-2 (illus 99)
H Colvin, BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY OF BRITISH ARCHITECTS, 1600-1840, 1978. C Campbell, VITRUVIUS BRITANNICUS, 1717 vol II p1 50.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.