HUTTON CASTLE (FORMERLY HUTTON/HATTON HALL) INCLUDING ANCILLARY STRUCTURE (Ref:10524)
This building is in the Scottish Borders Council and the
It is a category B building and was listed on 09/06/1971.
Group Items: see notes,
Group Cat: B,
Map Ref: NT 8891 5492.
Probably 16th century in origin with later additions and alterations by Sir Robert Lorimer, 1916; Reginald Fairlie, 1926. Castellated mansion of asymmetrical composition forming open courtyard comprising restored 3-storey, rectangular-plan keep to SE with engaged 6-stage, circular-plan stair tower recessed to left (heightened); 2-storey with basement, 6-bay mansion house adjoined to left again with later storey above; engaged 3-storey, square-plan stair tower in re-entrant angle to left; asymmetrical, 3-storey with attic projection to outer left; lower 3-storey, 2-bay block recessed to outer right. Predominantly pink sandstone rubble with rubble dressings; squared and snecked tooled pink sandstone to later additions with sandstone ashlar dressings. String course and former cornice to principal range; predominantly modillioned eaves with crenellated parapets; moulded eaves to N wing; crowstepped gables. Chamfered surrounds to later openings (architraved in part); sandstone and timber mullions and transoms. Single storey, 3-bay ancillary structure (former electricity house?) to SE.
SW (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: asymmetrical fenestration throughout with single and bipartite windows. Projecting 3-storey keep to right of centre. Engaged stair tower recessed to left. Adjoining mansion house recessed to left with squat basement windows with rubble relieving arches; irregularly-spaced windows at ground with chamfered oriel to outer left; later attic storey with coat-of-arms; corbelled turret to outer left. 3-storey stair tower projecting to left; coat-of-arms to right. Full-height projection to outer left with architraved panelled door; tripartite window at 1st floor; crenellated parapet with corbelled bartizan to right; crowstepped gablehead to outer left. Lower 3-storey block adjoining keep recessed to right with roll-moulded surround to boarded timber door. Single storey, flat-roofed addition projecting to outer right.
NW (SIDE) ELEVATION: symmetrical block stepped out at ground with 5 bipartite windows; large bipartite window centred at 1st floor; corbelled, shallow canted window above; flanking double-height panels with large bipartite windows at ground; bipartite windows above.
NE (REAR) ELEVATION: irregular fenestration throughout. 4-storey principal projection at centre. Lower, 2-bay wing recessed to right. Flush, full-height range adjoined to right. 2-storey with attic, 3-bay range recessed to left of principal projection. Gabled projection to left with crowstepped gablehead; full-height bay recessed to left. Flush lower range adjoined to left. Single storey, flat-roofed addition to outer left.
SE (SIDE) ELEVATION: projecting crowstepped gable end to right with single storey, flat-roofed addition at ground; plain parapet to left. Keep recessed to left. Taller range recessed to left with engaged stair tower to right; full-height bay recessed to left with blocked door and window at ground; relieving arch in upper floor corbelled out above. Full-height wing recessed to left; corbelled bartizan to outer left.
Predominantly timber-framed leaded glazing (diamond-paned in part); some timber sash and case windows. Grey slate roof (flat roof in part); some crowstepped skews; corbelled skewputts. Coped sandstone ridge, apex and wallhead stacks; various circular cans.
INTERIOR: not seen 1999. Existing records show decorative floor tiling to vestibule. Turnpike stair in S tower; fireplace at ground. N block with wide turnpike stair from E (N tower); large rooms at ground and 1st floors with fireplaces (remains of); plain walls; boarded timber floors; flat ceilings. E block with remains of fireplace; chamfered window openings; flat ceiling. Vaulting and panelling removed by Burrell.
ANCILLARY STRUCTURE: single storey, 3-bay, rectangular-plan block with lean-to addition to side. Rubble with pink sandstone ashlar dressings; boarded timber addition. Rusticated quoins; blocked margins; flush cills. SW (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 2-leaf boarded timber door at centre; single windows in flanking bays. Boarded timber door in lean-to addition recessed to outer right. Timber sash and case windows. Grey slate piended roof. Coped sandstone wallhead stacks. INTERIOR: not seen 1999.
B Group comprises 'Hutton Castle', 'Hutton Castle, Boundary Walls, Railings, Pier, Gatepiers and Gates at West Lodge', 'Hutton Castle, East Lodge', 'Hutton Castle, Quadrant Walls, Gatepiers and Gates at East Lodge', 'Hutton Castle, Walled Garden' and 'Hutton Castle, West Lodge' - see separate list entries. Dramatically sited above the Whiteadder and noted in the ORDNANCE GAZETTEER as comprising '...a very ancient peel-tower, with a long mansion attached, of patch-work structure and various dates.' The estate of Hutton Hall was purchased in 1876 Sir Dudley Coutts Marjoribanks of Guisachan, later Baron Tweedmouth, who in turn sold it to Sir William Burrell in 1916. A photograph dating from the 1880s shows the then 3-storey principal range with a pantiled roof, adjoining a gabled projection to the left and the then roofless, ruinous remains of the 16th century keep. A photograph dated 1915, prior to Lorimer's additions the following year, shows the keep as having been rebuilt with a lower addition to the side. It also shows a further storey as having been added to the principal range and a conical cap surmounting the corbelled turret. Although Lorimer produced numerous plans for Hutton (drawings held in the NMRS) he and his then friend Burrell argued irreconcilably over the work and it remained incomplete. In 1926 Lorimer's former pupil, Reginald Fairlie, was commissioned to carry out further alterations, including the creation of the N wing - the principal interiors of which have been removed and reconstructed in the Burrell Collection, Pollok Estate, Glasgow. Burrell finally moved into Hutton in 1927 and died here in 1958, having fulfilled his ambition to live in Baronial style surrounded by his many treasures. Unoccupied for much of the later 20th century, the building is now being restored as a private dwelling (1999). The former stable block and coach house to the SE is now in separate ownership and has been converted into a private dwelling (1999).
NMRS drawings, Robert Lorimer, 1916. Armstrong's map, 1771 (marked as 'Huttonhall'). NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT (completed 1834, published 1845) p153. Ordnance Survey map, 1862 (evident). F H Groome ORDNANCE GAZETTEER (1883) p281. D MacGibbon & T Ross CASTELLATED AND DOMESTIC ARCHITECTURE OF SCOTLAND, Vol IV (1892) pp193-199. P Savage LORIMER AND THE EDINBURGH CRAFT DESIGNERS (1980) p50, p87, p121. SIR WILLIAM BURRELL (1982) pp16-23. C A Strang BORDERS & BERWICK: AN ILLUSTRATED ARCHITECTURAL GUIDE (1991) pp55-56. NMRS photographic records.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.